THE LEGION MUSEUM
When it was first created in 1940, the Legion Museum was in a barracks room of the 2nd Legion Tercio in Morocco, but due to the country’s independence in 1956, the Tercio was transferred and along with it the museum. It records historical testimonies of this elite unit that was founded in Ceuta in 1920 by Millan Astray. In addition to banners, uniforms, photographs and weapons, a portrait of Millan Astray should be pointed out, which was painted by Ignacio Zuloaga and a propaganda poster painted for the Legion by Mariano Bertuchi in 1925. Its pieces are exhibited in four rooms:
The Laureados Room commemorates the 22 decorated soldiers in the Legion, through photographs, files and other documents, medals and personal mementos. The Toledo Room. There are the 203 heroes in this room in frames with their photographs, names and posts they had when they were in combat and a summary of the events.
The Africa Room. Here there are pieces, personal objects of important figures in the Legion and 18 plans of the units that existed at the time, with medals, miniatures, documents and uniforms.
The Spain Room. This includes various collections of weapons, former barracks standards and mementos of the presence of members of the UN peacekeeping force of the Legion in the former Yugoslavia.
NUMBER 23 LANDMARK IN
OUR PRINTED TOURISTY MAP
(Tourist Information Offices)